Recipe - Green Beans with Pondicherry Curry Leaf Podi
First, what is Podi? Podi is a blend of spices and Pondicherry Podis are complete spice blends needing nothing but salt. Freshly made by our chef in Los Angeles, they are handmade in small batches, packing maximum flavor and freshness, and can be refrigerated up to 6 months.They are flavor bombs adding flavor to your food, without the heartburn (mild to medium on the heat scale). You can use them while cooking or sprinkle as a topper on your eggs, soups, beans, rice, salad, roasted/sauteed veggies, fish and even fries.
For starters, try this green beans recipe;
- 400 grams (a little less than1 pound) green beans chopped - we used fresh beans from the farmers market for maximum freshness and flavor, but can be store bought or frozen
-1 chili pepper - Serrano/jalapeno/ your favorite kind, diced
- 1 inch piece of Ginger, sliced thinly
- Garlic cloves 3-4, chopped
- Turmeric ¼ tsp (optional)
- Fresh Curry Leaf Podiv- 2 tablespoons or about an ounce - you may adjust to taste.
Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a wok/large pan. Sauté garlic and chili till garlic browns a little. Add ginger sauté another 2 min. Add turmeric powder (optional). Throw in the beans and salt.
Mix and cover and cook for about 5/7 min till half done.
Add the Fresh Curry Leaf Podi. Mix and Stir. Cover and cook till done.
Uncover and cook for about another 30 seconds to brown it a bit. Adjust spices adding more Podi for a stronger flavor. Enjoy hot with a side of bread/naan/pita/rice or a soup.